From the very beginning of our research in STEM, actually MST at the time of the Center’s creation, we were interested in using engineering design. The first two projects that we were awarded featured engineering design (New York State Technology Education Network (NYSTEN) and Mathematics, Science, Technology in the Elementary School (MSTe)) and the use of an engineering design portfolio. We felt that we needed a more robust pedagogical approach and this led to the development of informed engineering design, created as part of the New York State Collaborative in Advanced Technological Education (NYSCATE). Using Knowledge and Skill Builders (KSBs) that link to content knowledge required for the design challenge was one of the key elements of informed design. We developed a prototype activity, Drying by Design, that was an integrated STEM unit, as gaining science, mathematics and technology knowledge was essential to completing the challenge of designing a food dehydrator. Informed engineering design has been a feature of our research going forward and is included in the texts we have written (Engineering and Technology Education—Learning by Design, and Engineering and Technology) as well as in projects funded since the early 2000’s. Here are some publications associated with informed engineering design:
- Hacker, Michael and Burghardt, David, Engineering & Technology Education— Learning by Design, 2nd edition, Prentice-Hall, 2012.
- Hacker, Michael and Burghardt, David, Engineering & Technology Education— Learning by Design Student Activity Guide, 2nd edition, Prentice-Hall, 2012.
- Hacker, Michael, Burghardt, David etal., Engineering and Technology Education, Cengage Learning, 2009.
- Hacker, Michael, Burghardt, David etal, Engineering and Technology Education Student Activity Guide, Cengage Learning, 2009.
- Burghardt, M.D., (2013) Interconnected STEM with Engineering Design Pedagogy. 120th Annual ASEE Annual Conference & Expo., Atlanta, GA
- Burghardt, M. D., Chiu, J.L, and Hecht, D. (2013). Infusing Informed Engineering Design Pedagogy in K-12 Math and Science Courses. 2013 Hawaii International Conference on Education. Honolulu, HI.
- Burghardt, M. David and Michael, Hacker. (2004). Informed Design: A Contemporary Approach to Design Pedagogy as the Core Process in Technology, The Technology Teacher, 64,1.
- Burghardt, David and Krowles. (2006). Christine, Enhancing Mathematics Instruction with Engineering Design, Proceedings 2006 ASEE Annual Conference, Chicago.
- Burghardt, David and Akins, Leah. (2006). Improving K-12 Mathematics Understanding with Engineering Design Projects, Proceedings 2006 Frontiers in Education Conference, San Diego.
Link for Drying by Design